Best option for hot water supply
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Indi.Singh
Labourer
Labourer

Best option for hot water supply

by Indi.Singh » Sat Dec 25, 2010 5:06 pm

Until my recent extension, I lived in a 3 bed detached and had a worcester 30CDI combi boiler. However, with the extension the house has increased to 5 bedrooms with an additional ensuite and downstairs wc. Historically the water pressure would reduce if you were having a shower and washing the pots at the same time. I am planning to put in a Gledhill Vented Direct Cylinder SL210 (similar to a Megaflow but I think an alternative manufacturer).

My concern is that the cyclinder is using electricity and not gas, is this going to cost me more in running costs? I have not had this fitted and so can change if decide soon.

Also, I am assuming that my combi boiler will be suffice to meet the heating requirements for the house, what do you think?

Thanks for your help.

plumbbob
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Best option for hot water supply

by plumbbob » Sun Dec 26, 2010 11:38 am

Indi.Singh wrote:Until my recent extension, I lived in a 3 bed detached and had a worcester 30CDI combi boiler. However, with the extension the house has increased to 5 bedrooms with an additional ensuite and downstairs wc. Historically the water pressure would reduce if you were having a shower and washing the pots at the same time. I am planning to put in a Gledhill Vented Direct Cylinder SL210 (similar to a Megaflow but I think an alternative manufacturer).

My concern is that the cyclinder is using electricity and not gas, is this going to cost me more in running costs? I have not had this fitted and so can change if decide soon.

Heatstore systems are popular with developers and landlords because they are cheap to install and don't require the ongoing certification that is required with gas installations.

Whilst they tick these boxes, there are crosses pretty much everywhere else. Try finding a local repair engineer for example.

Consider as well, a heatstore is still going to leave you with the problem of low water pressure which will become more obvious when the ensuite goes "online".

The best system for larger houses is a system boiler with a hot water storage tank. Can the builders upgrade the main whilst they are on site?

Indi.Singh wrote:Also, I am assuming that my combi boiler will be suffice to meet the heating requirements for the house, what do you think?

You need to calculate the area of the house and calculate the output required as it would be only a guess otherwise.

Cheers

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1