DIY Doctor

Main navigation

Best product for filling gaps around window sills

Postby scg1889scg1889 » Mon Sep 06, 2021 1:30 pm


A few of my windowsills are due a tidy up and will be painting them but also want to sort some of the gaps around them and wondering what's best for the job.

All of them have the flaking paint as in the pic below where the ledge meets the window frame

what's best for this, would it be decorators caulk as it can be painted over?

For one windowsill in the pic below on the right hand side where it meets the wall its got a reasonable sized crack in it, what's the best bet to tackle this one, does it need some sort of filler?

Any help or pointers appreciated :-)
Rank: Labourer
Progress to next rank:
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:54 am


Gorilla Glue heavy duty grab adhesive

Postby stoneyboy » Tue Sep 07, 2021 10:03 pm

Hi scg1889scg1889
You could use decorators caulk but form a thin bead otherwise it tends to form shrinkage cracks. An alternative would be to finish paint the surfaces and then use silicone seal but this will eventually discolour so will have to be cut out and replaced.
Regards S
Rank: Project Manager
Posts: 4852
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 6:44 pm

Display posts from previous
Sort by
Order by

  • DIY How to Project Guides
  • DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!

  • Related Topics