Best Solution for Supplying Electrics to a Shed?
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Big gay al
Labourer
Labourer

Best Solution for Supplying Electrics to a Shed?

by Big gay al » Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:02 pm

Hi guys, i.m new to the site and my name's alan. I am hopeless with electrics and was looking for some guidance if possible. I have a shed outside that I keep a tumble dryer and a small freezer in that I have ran via an extension from my kitchen through the wall behind my sink. From that small shed I run another extension to a larger manshed that I built.

In this larger shed I have a blow heater a digital radio and a lamp. All was going well recently when I was listening to planet rock with the lamp and heater on and a cold tinnie, then the dragon decided to turn on the tumble dryer, everything went out and the tumble dryer plug melted into the extension. I replaced the extension from the kitchen then it happened again the other night this time when the dragon decided to boil the kettle ( selfish she is )anyhoo is this a case of too much from an extension cable and is there an alternative?, Maybe armour cable from the main box to the shed or some kind of reducer type thingymabob?, I.m prepared to spend money on it as it's my sanity hole, any help will be gratefully received, thank you.

Mr White
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Best Solution for Supplying Electrics to a Shed?

by Mr White » Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:19 pm

In a nut shell yes, a steel wire armoured cable is what is required. You are lucky you did not have a fire, people often say "well it works doesn't it so it must be ok" You can now tell them its not true.

I would suggest you call an electrician (or two) and get a quote, there is more to what you seek than meets the eye.

If money is "no object" then fine, if money is a problem you could offer to do the manual labour for the electrician. (The SWA cable can be buried underground, some one will need to dig the trench, as it can not be fixed to a fence) You may also need a new consumers unit, it depends on what is currently there, which is why you need an electrician to visit site.

Big gay al
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Best Solution for Supplying Electrics to a Shed?

by Big gay al » Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:30 am

Many thanks, i.ll give it some thought, not to be taken lightly electrics i.m thinking, thanks again.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 01, 2024 11:30 am