Best Sound Proofing Solution for Windows Next to Busy Road
Post questions and find answers on glazing, double glazing, upvc glazing, conservatory glazing, fixtures and fittings etc....

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
greenj5
Labourer
Labourer

Best Sound Proofing Solution for Windows Next to Busy Road

by greenj5 » Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:40 am

Hi,

I have 2 options to install new windows in my house and reduce noise from a busy main road (Roughly 10 mtrs from the front door) and want advice on which option is best (These configurations are based on my available budget). In terms of best option I mean significantly better in terms of noise reduction (i.e. more than 5 db improvement over the alternate option).

I know that TG will be far better in terms of thermal properties so would only choose the DG option if its going to give a significant improvement in noise reduction (I.e. its hardly worth it if it only makes a 1 or 2 decibel difference)

Double glazing in a 4, 17.6(Air/gas), 6.4 (laminated but not acoustic) configuration. The 6.4 laminate is SSG STADIP (standard not silent).

Triple glazing in a 4,12(air/gas),4,(12(air/gas),4 configuration - not sure of the glass types - think its clear float, SSG planitherm and something else but NOT laminated or acoustic.

Any help is much appreciated - I know there are many factors so ultimately I want to abstract away from the detail and get an unbiased expert view on whether there is actually much difference between these for noise reduction.

Thanks

Justin

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Best Sound Proofing Solution for Windows Next to Busy Road

by welsh brickie » Fri Jul 29, 2016 6:35 pm

I would go for the 6mm laminated, argon gas filled units, it gives you thermal and sound reducing properties, Acoustic glass is good,but very expensive and not worth the cost in my opinion

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Mar 22, 2024 7:28 pm