Best Stud Wall Insulation
Information, help, tips and advice on cavity walls, ceilings and lofts etc....

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
mikeym
Apprentice
Apprentice

Best Stud Wall Insulation

Post by mikeym » Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:55 am

I`m building a dividing wall with a doorway across my integral garage to split it into two rooms, a dining room and a small storage area at the garage door end.
After a site visit the LABC officer tells me the main criteria to meet will be the thermal insulation values of the new habitable room. They cant advise what is the best material or give me any tech info re values to be acheived (at this stage).
What i`m asking here is taking into account that one end of the garage has a steel garage door, what is the best insulating material to use? How does polystyrene slab compare to the rockwool type material?
Also does anyone have any info re the best type of internal door to install for heat retention etc? I am advised that a fire door will not be necessary.
Any info appreciated.
Mike

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by stoneyboy » Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:51 pm

mikeym,
Assuming you are constructing a timber stud wall use Rockwool - your supplier will advise the thickness needed.
A fire door will give the best insulation unless you have a special made.
end

eljaybee
Ganger
Ganger

Post by eljaybee » Sun Aug 16, 2009 7:05 am

The U-vaalue that you need to achieve is 0.3W/m2K the same as for an external wall.

I recommend the use of a polyurethane insualtion (eg kingspan or celotex, the type with silver layers on surface) - it give better thermal performance compared to the same thickness of polystyrene or quilt.
Plus you don't have the possibility of the insulation slumping down which can occur with outher forms.

checker
Labourer
Labourer

polyurethane insulation

Post by checker » Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:03 am

Polyurethane insulating coatings offer extreme durability, which is four times stronger than traditional epoxy! It is also 98% more flexible, which means that your garage flooring finish is protected from cracking and it is even chemically resistant to salt, oil, gas and other chemicals that commonly stain garage floors.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Feb 19, 2024 12:17 pm