Best surface to install large travertine wall tiles
Advice and information on tiling and fixing tiles to a variety of surfaces

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Amac
Labourer
Labourer

Best surface to install large travertine wall tiles

Post by Amac » Wed Aug 08, 2007 11:57 pm

I'm foolishly planning to self install 60 by 40 mm travertine tiles on wall as a bath surround. The existing tiles are sound but not too flat. I think my two options are hacking off the tiles and replastering or dryline with backerboard/aquapanel or ply. Any advice would be appreciated. Space is a bit tight- Thanks

Skunkfu
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: Best surface to install large travertine wall tiles

Post by Skunkfu » Fri Aug 17, 2007 12:28 pm

[quote="Amac"]I'm foolishly planning to self install 60 by 40 mm travertine tiles on wall as a bath surround. The existing tiles are sound but not too flat. I think my two options are hacking off the tiles and replastering or dryline with backerboard/aquapanel or ply. Any advice would be appreciated. Space is a bit tight- Thanks[/quote]

Hi there,
Just quick info before you start on that Travertine. Its quite expencive stone and because its a stone, dont expect it to be very acuratley cut, so i would recomment someone with experience to do your tiling.
After hacking off your old tiles and if you gona go for option 1, clear walls from all paper that came of your plasterboard, for better support screw plasterboard with more crews, mix wood glue with water 50/50 and coat the wall.Once dry, buy "Drywall Adhesive" £8 something? from B&Q mix it and cover the walls [similar to plaster, but much stronger]. Once that dry you ready to put tiles on!
Option 2, well more expensive ,but a lil bit easier? dunno... but jesus dont put ply!

If you still gona do tiling yourself, take your time dont rush and when mixing tile glue mix in small quantities to give yourself some time as it dries fast. If you buy ready mixed one [rubish in my opinion] you have plenty time :D

Good luck!

Amac
Labourer
Labourer

Post by Amac » Mon Sep 03, 2007 3:38 pm

Thanks for the advice. Decided to take the travertine back and used ceramic imitations instead. Saved alot, looks pretty good and the tiling job went well.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 12, 2024 11:10 am