Best way to clean wood
Kitchens, doors, rails, stud, tables, chairs, stair cases, garden furniture etc... Find answers and ask questions here!

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
goose
Tradesman
Tradesman

Best way to clean wood

by goose » Thu Jun 05, 2008 5:27 pm

I've bought oak sills and returns for my new windows, they've been in upstairs room whilst i've been knocking the plaster off in downstairs and in the bathroom, they have got a coating of dust on them (depsite covered in plastic).
Whats the best way to clean them off ready for varnish? dust them over with a brush then wipe with white spirit in a rag?

chris_on_tour2002
Project Manager
Project Manager

by chris_on_tour2002 » Thu Jun 05, 2008 11:36 pm

i'd actually run the hoover over it to get as much of the dust off as possible. i always vac woodwork prior to painting. then, as you say, wipe with white spirit and a cloth (lint free) allow to thoroughly dry then varnish or apply whatever finish. test a small area first in case of discolouring but should be fine. check compatibility of the product you are using - oak doesn't awlays hold a varnish too well. personally if it were oak i wouldn't seal it at all. it's a very resilient wood and in my opinion one of the most attractive and is just as good, if not better, left without an applied finish.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:50 am