BI tells me to install mains smoke detectors
If you want to know how your DIY projects could be affected by building and planning regulations, click here to post questions and view answers

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
LAB
Apprentice
Apprentice

BI tells me to install mains smoke detectors

by LAB » Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:19 pm

Hi
nearing the end of an extension, BI called today to check roof insulation etc, he informed me that a mains smoke detector should be installed in main house, top of stairs and ground floor hallway, this is a permited development with no detaild plans, allthouge it is a good thought safety wise there are Four smoke detectors, (Battery) allready in the property, becouse there was no connection with the house itself, (the building notice was for the extension) is this out of his scope?, or could he walk through the house next time and say something like "Your windows are not up to regs., get them changed"

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: BI tells me to install mains smoke detectors

by welsh brickie » Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:00 am

With new fire regulations all properties being contructed have to have mains installed smoke detectors,this also includes properties being rewired and your extension comes under that catagory.

Dave From Leeds
Ganger
Ganger

Re: BI tells me to install mains smoke detectors

by Dave From Leeds » Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:01 pm

When we had a loft conversion done abiut four years ago, we had to have linked mains smoke detectors installed, one on each of the three floors in the house, despite the fact that we already had battery operated ones on the ground and first floors.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1