Black and Decker Electric Hedge Trimmer Issues
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
greengrass
Foreman
Foreman

Black and Decker Electric Hedge Trimmer Issues

Post by greengrass » Mon Aug 05, 2019 2:21 pm

B&D GT 6060.
several times motor runs full speed slows and gives low 'Pop' sound then stops. slight tap on paving it starts for 10 secs. then same, slows and a pop (like arcing), would this be a brush sticking? if not its new job as repairs no doubt would over ride the purchase price of £58. It's not switch that's ok. the action of tapping on paving I think must jolt the brush back on commutator. only a guess.

Just for record I know electrics don't take prisoners and work only in safe mode OFF, DISCONNECTED. Many thanks

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Black and Decker Electric Hedge Trimmer Issues

Post by ericmark » Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:16 pm

The better quality hand tools have brushes with a built in plastic plunger and spring, so once they wear to a set point the plunger pops out holding the brush off the com so no damage is done to the com.

I think B&D use this system, so more likely an over load is operating, when the com winding fail, often you get increased noise and sparking plus higher power use, as you say when that happens often cheaper to replace whole tool.

greengrass
Foreman
Foreman

Re: Black and Decker Electric Hedge Trimmer Issues

Post by greengrass » Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:08 am

Thanks for your response
Your right cheaper to replace but the brushes don't have much wear and held by spring only. Its only been used over its 2.5 yr life, three times each year and part of , to cut small hedges , one being longest 25mt one side top part of neighbours hanginging over my fence.
Thought motor drive was straight spline shaft to gears pulled it about inch and bottom section field coil stayed in place so could be a 'Friday ' job guy in manufacture never secured it properly wanting to get home early. Your advice am ordering a Einhell (Wickes DIY store) in a weeks time seem to have good reviews. Unless find better around £60 corded not battery.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 10, 2024 2:59 pm