DIY Doctor

Black Build up on Shower Switch Wires

Postby ydna » Wed May 15, 2019 7:39 am

Hi all,

The pull cord for our electric shower jammed. When I took the switch off the ceiling to see if I could fix it, I noticed that there was a black build up on some of the connections.
20190203_120635_small.jpg
I have attached a picture. Any idea what this is? Should I get an electrician out to take a look, rather than just replacing the switch like for like?

Thanks,
Andy
ydna
Progress to next rank:
25%

Sponsor

Simply Build It

Postby ericmark » Thu May 16, 2019 9:18 am

It is caused by a poor connection, it has clearly got rather hot, as to if wires need cutting back to get rid of damaged bit is hard to say.

Showers use around 40 amp, so not really worth taking a chance, I would get an electrician if you can.

It may only need a new switch, but with such high current better be safe.
ericmark

Postby Mr White » Thu May 16, 2019 3:29 pm

It is caused by the cable overheating and burning.
Ideally you should cut a few cm off and reconnect to a new switch of the correct rating and make sure the connection screws are not loose.
Mr White
Progress to next rank:
5.6%

Postby ydna » Mon May 20, 2019 5:57 am

Thanks guys! I have contacted an electrician to come out and take a look.
ydna
Progress to next rank:
25%

Sort by
Order by

• DIY How to Project Guides
  • DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!