black dry mould
General decorating topics, questions and answers. find help, tips and advice on completing your decorating projects

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
ukbill
Apprentice
Apprentice

black dry mould

by ukbill » Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:27 am

hi my bedroom wall have dry black mould like marks on it,this only
applies to the outside wall,the walls are lining paper and matt emulsion
what is this please and whats the remedy,i am about to redecorate the bedroom and want to make sure this problem does not retrun thx

chris_on_tour2002
Project Manager
Project Manager

by chris_on_tour2002 » Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:50 pm

it's caused by condensation. the exterior wall being the coldest moisture in the warm air will condense, leading to mould.

cure = clean it off with mould & mildew cleaner. that will get rid of it and also contains an inhibitor to help prevent it returning. however you will only move the problem elsewhere unless you bear in mind the following:

prevention = ventilation. open windows a bit more often, not always nice at this time of year but boiling kettles, baths and showers, drying clothes on radiators will all fill your house with moisture.

theshedman
Foreman
Foreman

by theshedman » Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:16 pm

Hi ukbill, as Chris says it will be caused by condensation. As he says use a mould and mildew remover, I always use the Dettox one and find it works well. If the mould is bad you may have to use it more than once though. Make sure that you don't miss any though as if you paint the walls and you haven't got rid of all of it, it may start growing under the new paint. The other things you can do to help prevent it apart from the ones Chris says are 1, put a Dehumidifier in the room which will help remove the moisture from the room and 2, get more heat into the room to keep it drier. Good luck.

ukbill
Apprentice
Apprentice

by ukbill » Tue Jan 19, 2010 5:53 pm

ok thx to you both i am about to redecorate the room and will do all what you say thanks for your help

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:59 am