Black mould on bungalow ceilings
Damp can be a major issue in the home. Find answers to questions or post your own here.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Wiirone
Labourer
Labourer

Black mould on bungalow ceilings

Post by Wiirone » Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:16 pm

Hi, I have been reading through similar questions on forums for this subject but I have a specific question.
Living in a rented 1960/70 detached bungalow and there is black mould on two bedroom ceilings, notably above the beds. The main bedroom has two outside walls and its worse in that top inside corner where they meet and also on the top of the wall yet despite cleaning it off with bleach and re-emulsioning the mould returns. I realise humidity levels are obviously high and breath adds its own vapour. The loft is well insulated and there is central heating. The windows are wooden framed with double-glazed units installed but they aren't really adequate as the windows stream with condensation each morning in the winter.
So, if I fix sliding vents into the bedroom ceilings (clearing a little insulation away above the vents) will that allow excess moisture to escape into the loft and improve things or will it allow cold air from the loft to condense around the vents and make things worse?

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Black mould on bungalow ceilings

Post by welsh brickie » Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:18 am

knock a hole through the wall with a sliding vent on the inside.If you want to insulate the walls internally I found this product it looks good but havent used it myself. www.mgcltd.co.uk

GalTumpson
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: Black mould on bungalow ceilings

Post by GalTumpson » Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:08 pm

For me, you need to be really wary of the speed at which you do this job. If its left too long, this could take quite a while and it could exasperate the issue. If you don't act with sufficient haste, moisture could get into your furnishings and mean you'd have to replace them (at great expense! I had to get rid of a memory foam mattress because of this). Its a big job and if you dont approach it right, you could damage the situation even more.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Apr 11, 2024 5:58 am