Black Rubber Wiring
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
kerryandstuart
Labourer
Labourer

Black Rubber Wiring

Post by kerryandstuart » Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:04 pm

Hello everyone, its my first time on here,
I've recently had a new conservatory fitted, when the sparks turned the power off he told me I had some Black rubber wiring in the circuit board and needed to get it removed,

I had another electrician in who said that my house shouldn't have it in it as it was built in the 60's, he said it was easier to rewire the whole downstairs (by chasing in the walls or putting trunking everywhere) rather than find out how much there is and quoted £800.

The question I've got is how urgent do I need to replace this wire, I know it hasn't got the coating of modern wire but visibly there is only 1/2 a foot from the circuit board which then goes under the stairs ( I understand there's a hell of a lot more) so it won't be disturbed or damaged in anyway at all.

Please help (I'm skint from the conservatory) and pulling my hair out,
Stu

BLAKEY1963
Site Agent
Site Agent

Re: Black Rubber Wiring

Post by BLAKEY1963 » Mon Apr 14, 2008 10:01 pm

[quote="kerryandstuart"]Hello everyone, its my first time on here,
I've recently had a new conservatory fitted, when the sparks turned the power off he told me I had some Black rubber wiring in the circuit board and needed to get it removed,

I had another electrician in who said that my house shouldn't have it in it as it was built in the 60's, he said it was easier to rewire the whole downstairs (by chasing in the walls or putting trunking everywhere) rather than find out how much there is and quoted £800.

The question I've got is how urgent do I need to replace this wire, I know it hasn't got the coating of modern wire but visibly there is only 1/2 a foot from the circuit board which then goes under the stairs ( I understand there's a hell of a lot more) so it won't be disturbed or damaged in anyway at all.

Please help (I'm skint from the conservatory) and pulling my hair out,
Stu[/quote]

KERRYANDSTUART
By taking into account of advice given , yes i think
that whatever is fed with this existing black wiring
then u need 2 rewire

BLAKEY1963

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Mar 26, 2024 7:55 pm