Black spot mould in cupboard against an outside wall
Damp can be a major issue in the home. Find answers to questions or post your own here.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Leserley
Labourer
Labourer

Black spot mould in cupboard against an outside wall

by Leserley » Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:29 am

I have black spot mould on the painted inside of an outside wall. It is inside a fitted cupboard which I had installed a couple of years ago - the cupboard has only doors and sides. The wall forms the back of the cupboard. The mould has been getting worse over time especially this year since Sept time. The clothes are loosely packed in an attempt to improve circulation and the clothes which I do not use every day smell fusty and some even have marks on them. The outside wall is rendered and painted on the outside but the paint is looking a bit grubby (not flaking). The damp course is below floor level. There is a soil pipe in the back of the cupboard but I have no particular reason to believe it is leaking. One suggestion is to put back a small radiator which used to be in the cupboard before it was enclosed. Do you think any other factors need addessing before or instead of putting the radiator back? I am concerned that the problem might not just be one of cold.

thanks
Leserley

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:28 pm

Leserley,
Put a tubular heater at the bottom back of the cupboard and leave the doors open.
end

Jab64000
Labourer
Labourer

damp inside cupboard

by Jab64000 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:52 am

Hi Leserley- I had the same problem in my house and a radiator might help but it will not solve the problem which is lack of air circulation. Putting a radiator in will slow it down but will not stop it. What you need to do is get air flowing in here. I had the same problem and fitted vents into the floor and an xpelair fan into the ceiling venting into the loft space. I also fitted a small radiator inside the cupboard just as you have said.
Before you do all this best painting the cupboard with Synzer paint - its an American product available from good paint suppliers, its expensive but fantastic product which resists mould and leaves your cupboards nice & clean
hope this helps

andyp1979
Labourer
Labourer

by andyp1979 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:46 am

can anyone help me i have black mould spreading quickly in my bay window i have treated with bleach but no good.
I have new windows fitted hoped that would help but no!

Starting to really frustrate me now as its looking rather unsightly

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Mar 24, 2024 9:07 am