Black spots on wall !
All manner of questions and solutions to problems and issues surrounding the subject of brickwork, blockwork and stonework

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
armstrong08
Labourer
Labourer

Black spots on wall !

by armstrong08 » Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:09 pm

Hello, this is my first posting.
having moved my sons wardrobe, I've found the wall covered in black mold and the wall feels wet to touch, so I cleaned them down with bleach for now, when the room was refurbished the air vent was removed, the room is only small 7ft by 7ft and the air vent was high up on the wall. I assume I need to replace the air vent, but can this be anywhere in the room, I was thinking of putting one in behind the wardrobe above the skirting, will this suffice?
Thanks
:)

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Wed Dec 10, 2008 6:57 pm

armstrong08,
I doubt a low level vent behind a wardrobe will solve this problem. Your son needs to open a window when he is in the room or you can buy a de-humidifier.

Perry525
Site Agent
Site Agent

by Perry525 » Sun Dec 28, 2008 7:55 pm

The room is too small to use as a bedroom without some form of ventilation.
As its cold at the moment and in any event a large hole in the top of a bedroom wall makes it impossible to heat a room cheaply, you need to take the simple remedy and leave the door open.
Then you can consider the options.
Buy and use a dehumidifier, almost certain to keep him awake - too noisy.
Open a window and let the dry air from outside help to keep the room dry - expensive, possibly noisy.
Do not turn the heating off or down ever. Small room, small cost, steady heat, air holds moisture, walls warm up less chance of condensation.
Insulate cold wall, once wall is warm, moisture in room from son's breath will condense on next coldest place in room, probably cause running windows.
Arrange some form of ventilation, with built in heat exchanger

TheDoctor5

by TheDoctor5 » Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:32 am

Last year 64% of the questions asked in our forum were answered within our DIY project pages at www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects.htm The project pages are now separated alphabetically and your answers are accompanied by diagrams and the ability to see, and buy, the tools and/or required to complete your project. Use our search box to look for your answer and save a great deal of time and money!

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:53 pm