Bleed Pin Problem
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
russ68
Labourer
Labourer

Bleed Pin Problem

by russ68 » Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:03 pm

I have an old radiator in my bedroom. The bleed pin forms part of the radiator itself as opposed to the type where there is a replaceable valve system with a pin as part of it.

I need to bleed my radiator as it is mostly full of air. The pin is worn and a standard radiator key will not open it. It just slides round without gripping.

Ideally I would like a tool that will get the pin out and a new pin that I can put in.

Would a multi purpose plumbing key do this? Would it have an adjustable head that I could tighten round the pin? Is there a standard pin size for old radiators that I can buy to replace the damaged pin?

If the answer to either or both of these questions is no, does anyone have any suggestions about how else I can tackle the problem?

Thans for the help.

Steve the gas
Site Agent
Site Agent

by Steve the gas » Thu Jan 08, 2009 6:13 am

Hi Russ,

Yep a new bleed screw should fit, but youre biggest problem is getting the old one out. May be easier removing the rad to do this, if you can cut a slot in it & use a flat bladed screwdriver, A Dremmel tool may fit the bill.

Hth

russ68
Labourer
Labourer

by russ68 » Sat Jan 10, 2009 8:57 am

Thanks Steve

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

by htg engineer » Sat Jan 10, 2009 4:48 pm

Pointed nose pliers normally does the trick.

htg

Skids
Ganger
Ganger

by Skids » Sat Jan 10, 2009 7:04 pm

Hi Russ68

Get hold of a Radiator Allen Key (£1), big chunky ½” A/F hexagon, its got a hole in the short end you put in the ‘air vent

Turn off both the rad valves, use the key to remove the whole air vent, replace with a new air vent (.50p). make sure you use a sealer on the thread.

Regards

Skids

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1