Blistering Front Door!!
General decorating topics, questions and answers. find help, tips and advice on completing your decorating projects

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
mrsj
Labourer
Labourer

Blistering Front Door!!

by mrsj » Sat Mar 21, 2009 1:34 pm

Yesterday I sanded, rubbed down and painted my front door in glossy black and it looked great. I left it to dry all afternoon, overnight and this morning (in total 22 hours) I have sanded down any dead flies and bumps, wiped it down applied the second coat and it instantly blistered. The tin said recoatable after 16 hours... what do i do now? Do I leave it another day... sand it and repaint or is it more complicated than that? I hope not but don't want to mess it up any more so need some advice! PLEASE help :( :x

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Sun Mar 22, 2009 4:57 pm

mrsj,
This may happen where you have used different makes of paint for the first and second coat - the solvents are sometimes not compatible. If you want a decent finish a complete strip will be required.
end

mrsj
Labourer
Labourer

same paint

by mrsj » Sun Mar 22, 2009 8:21 pm

Was the the same paint... same tin.. mixed well... strange.. but thanks

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:22 pm

mrsj,
In that case photograph the door and return the paint to your supplier.
end

rigga
Ganger
Ganger

by rigga » Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:56 pm

mrsj
What type of paint were you using, oil based or water based, did you prime and/or undercoat first. What did you wipe it down with? Did you paint the second coat in direct sunlight and the first coat was glossy black this would have absorbed a lot of heat .It does sound like solvent popping. this happens when the solvent in the paint turns to a vapour and because the surface has dried prematurely it can not evaporate through the dried film and causes a small blister usually the size of a mach stick head but can be smaller.

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Mar 26, 2024 4:00 am