Ask questions and find answers on all your decking problems and issues

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
AlGBarker
Apprentice
Apprentice

Block paving edges

by AlGBarker » Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:26 pm

Hi Guys,

I'm about to start block paving a 15m long x 1.5m wide path down my garden. One side will be against the gravel boards of my fence, the other will hopefully be flush with the level of the lawn when it's finished (mow over edging I think the term is).

An area much wider than the eventual path is clear and the moment, so I will need to add to the lawn's width once the block paving is done to reach the path.

The order, I think, is to sort the sub-base with stones and whacker plate, then level with sand (slightly wider than the final path), then lay the blocks across the width of the path. As I want any trimmed blocks to be on the fence side, I need to start from the lawn side.

What I'm struggling to get my head round is how to secure the outside block of each row. Do I lay the path entire path first... clear away any excess sand from the lawn side and then set concrete against the edges of the outside blocks? or should I first set the outside blocks in concrete in a line down the length of the path and once set, then start laying the rest of each row?

Any advice would be helpful.

Sorry if this doesn't make sense.

Thanks,

Alan

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:48 pm

AlGBarker
"should I first set the outside blocks in concrete in a line down the length of the path and once set, then start laying the rest of each row?" YES

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:43 pm