Blocked drain in garden.....struggling
Drainage and wastage systems and plumbing help, advice and answers

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
paulnanrod
Labourer
Labourer

Blocked drain in garden.....struggling

by paulnanrod » Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:25 am

I am a self admitted novice and have a blocked drain in my back garden. The waterboard have told me it's my drain....my responsibility.

I have a feeling I am going to admit defeat, and call a drain un blocker, but have started so want to give it a good go at finishing!

When lifting the manhole cover, the drain is brimming with waste. I managed to rod away and the water went down by 2 brick levels (my new form of measuring). This has since gone up again after my girlfriend flushed the toilet....

Should I notice once I have removed the blockage, that the waste will drain away immediately, or will it be a gradual process?

Also - any tips or quick fixes that anyone can help with?

Thanks for any help....

stokedan
Apprentice
Apprentice

by stokedan » Sun Apr 25, 2010 1:05 pm

when the blockage is freed the water will quite quickly drain, if possible u need to lift the manhole covers down the drain run when u get to a dry inspection chamber then the blockage is sumwhere between that one and the previous inspection chamber, measure the distance between the two inspection chambers and make sure you have enough rods to push the blockage through or atleast enough to rod halfway then rod from both ends.

atlot of blockages are caused by baby wipes as they dont disolve unlike tissue so dont flush them down the toilet

hope this helps

taxes1
Labourer
Labourer

by taxes1 » Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:53 pm

If your drainage system runs on through a neighbour's property and all the drain chambers on your property are blocked, then the blockage is on your neighbours property. You will have to sort out this quickly if there are other houses "upstream" of you using the same system or you could find their waste spilling out onto your property. If you experienced only a partial release of the water you probably did not rod right through to a cleared chamber. If your property connects directly into the main drain (which can be as small as 150 mm) you will be able to feel your rod hitting the wall of that main. Remember to "screw" your rods slightly clockwise whenever you are pushing them in or pulling them out in order to avoid accidentally unscrewing the joins!!

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 08, 2024 6:31 am