Blocked Radiator
All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

7 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
pigster2003
Labourer
Labourer

Blocked Radiator

by pigster2003 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:27 pm

One of my radiators has completed stopped working - was previously ok but now nothing! I have tried removing the TRV and the pin pushes up and down easily. Have opened the locksheidl valve fully, still nothing. Have bled the radiator, and no air, but radiator is full of water. There is a drain valve between the lockshield valve and the radiator, have drained a bit off, lots of sludge came out initially but then reasonably clean water. The water that drained was slightly warm, so warmer than that out of the bleeder. System is a traditional open system, and circa 9 years old. What else can I try? Is the radiator blocked or does the system need flushing out? Many thanks.

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

by htg engineer » Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:59 pm

As you say it has sludge in the system - so it needs flushing.

htg

pigster2003
Labourer
Labourer

Blocked radiator

by pigster2003 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:29 pm

Thanks for the reply. A few more quetsions however, if I may!

Instead of there being a cistern in the loft, there are two small tanks, one blue and the other red, in the airing cupboard above the hot water tank. Does this mean that it is a sealed ssytem? In that case, are the rules different for flushing out? Its not a combi-boiler, so would the system still be sealed?

Also, when I say I removed the drain plug on the blocked radiator and some sludge came out, it wasn't loads, but was noticeable - interesting that only one radiator seems blocked, but must admit, the whole system doesn't seem as warm as it used to be - have the thermostat up 2-3 degrees more than previous years and feels colder! Is this the system becoming clogged?

Can you point me to comprehensive instructions!

Many thanks in advance.

Mathmos
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Blocked radiator

by Mathmos » Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:38 pm

[quote="pigster2003"]Thanks for the reply. A few more quetsions however, if I may!

Instead of there being a cistern in the loft, there are two small tanks, one blue and the other red, in the airing cupboard above the hot water tank. Does this mean that it is a sealed ssytem? In that case, are the rules different for flushing out? Its not a combi-boiler, so would the system still be sealed?

Also, when I say I removed the drain plug on the blocked radiator and some sludge came out, it wasn't loads, but was noticeable - interesting that only one radiator seems blocked, but must admit, the whole system doesn't seem as warm as it used to be - have the thermostat up 2-3 degrees more than previous years and feels colder! Is this the system becoming clogged?

Can you point me to comprehensive instructions!

Many thanks in advance.[/quote]

One easy way to identify if your heating system is pressurised.
Take a look at your boiler do you see a pressure gauge, if not then you have a open vented system.

Regardless what type of heating system you have as the other user has commented, you really do need a system powerflush from the comments you have made. Obtain quotes from recommended plumbers or preferably gas fitters.

I normally charge £250 for a standard domestic dwelling, but expect to pay more especially if you are quoted by British Gas!

Mathmos
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Blocked radiator

by Mathmos » Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:41 pm

Last edited by Mathmos on Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tytherington
Apprentice
Apprentice

by tytherington » Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:34 pm

all haeting systems contain sludge its a chemical reaction to mixed metals try closing all other rads off and if it heat up turn rads back on one at a time could have a partil air lock on pipe work leading to or from the problem radiator make a note of how many turn each rad valve needs to be turned off to prevent having to re balance system and restore after you have got heat on rads again

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

by htg engineer » Sat Apr 03, 2010 8:34 pm

"all heating systems contain sludge" ????

I beg to disagree

If a system is flushed correctly on installation, boiler change or pipework addition or repair, and the correct dose of inhibitor added you wont get sludge build up.

If all the systems you fit and work on have sludge you have problems with workmanship and lack of maintenance.

htg
Last edited by htg engineer on Sun Apr 04, 2010 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

7 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 6:38 am