DIY Doctor

Main navigation

Blocking off Pipes While Radiator is Removed

Postby Towers84 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:48 pm

Fairly rookie question but I am finding it difficult to confirm the part I need and what they are actually called. We are removing a radiator while we re plaster and decorate a room. We would like to continue using the heating system while this is being done.

My girlfriend returned with compression stop ends after getting advice from the staff.

I thought we would need something more like these:

Also not sure how to be sure of the size required.

Could someone point me in the right direction?

Rank: Labourer
Progress to next rank:
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:19 pm


Simply Build It

Postby ericmark » Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:32 pm

Most thermostatic radiator valves (TRV) come with plastic head so you can turn them off when removing the radiator, I made a mistake when removing one once I turned the valve down to minimum removed radiator and no leaks, then over night the temperature dropped and the valve opened on the frost stat setting.
Rank: Project Manager
Posts: 2621
Joined: Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:49 pm
Location: Llanfair Caereinion, Mid Wales.

Display posts from previous
Sort by
Order by

  • DIY How to Project Guides
  • DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!

  • Related Topics