Blockwork not Tied in at Corners - Just Beginning Garage Conversion
All manner of questions and solutions to problems and issues surrounding the subject of brickwork, blockwork and stonework

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
bruno360
Labourer
Labourer

Blockwork not Tied in at Corners - Just Beginning Garage Conversion

by bruno360 » Sat Dec 27, 2014 2:12 am

Hi folks, just joined and im looking for some advice/guidance if anyone can shed some light? I am just beginning to convert my garage on my house. Its a timber kit house with attatched single garage of cavity wall construction (external facing brick/roughcast and internal blockwork).
I am at the stage of raising the lintel above the garage door to keep the window in line with the lounge window but the way the lintel is at the moment concerns me. As its only a single garage theres not a great deal of wall at each end of the lintel anyway but what concerns me is that this wall supporting the lintel doesn't seem to be tied in to the side walls.
it just seems to me that the lintel is effectively sitting on a very narrow stack of blocks at each side of the garage door, is this normal? I am concerned as the trusses rest on this wall above the garage door. Its a new build house and must have been passed by building control but I would like to get some clarification before proceeding. any help would be greatly appreciated

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Blockwork not Tied in at Corners - Just Beginning Garage Conversion

by welsh brickie » Mon Dec 29, 2014 10:15 pm

there should be a minimum of 150mm bearing on each side of the lintol, if its not then its best to replace it with a longer one

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 10, 2024 2:58 pm