Blockwork underneath a roof support steel
All manner of questions and solutions to problems and issues surrounding the subject of brickwork, blockwork and stonework

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
markandcath
Labourer
Labourer

Blockwork underneath a roof support steel

by markandcath » Sat Sep 18, 2021 11:53 am

We have blockwork walls in our barn every 25ft or so that run front to back (the blocks are laid on their sides) and on top of them sit steels that support the roof. The steels run side to side and so are at 90 degrees to the blockwork that supports them.

I need to remove some of this blockwork to put a doorway through on the 1st floor. There is nothing above the blockwork I wish to remove but how close to the lintel can I cut it back? How much overhang do I need to leave the lintel sitting on?

They say a picture says a thousand words, how close to the lintel can I cut the red line?

lintel.png

Thanks.

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Blockwork underneath a roof support steel

by stoneyboy » Sun Sep 19, 2021 10:48 pm

Hi markandcath
Provided the wall is 450mm thick you should be ok removing the wall 500mm outside the edge of the steel.
This assumes that the wall is soundly built and appropriate foundations are in place under the load centre. It’s probably worth getting a structural engineer to have a look before you start.
Regards S

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:07 pm