Boarding the Eaves in Loft Conversion for Storage
Information and advice on lofts and loft conversions. Find solutions and post your questions here...

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
TamaraM27
Labourer
Labourer

Boarding the Eaves in Loft Conversion for Storage

by TamaraM27 » Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:01 pm

Hi all,

I've just moved into a new house and the loft has been converted into a bedroom, but at the sides of the room is some storage space in the eaves. There are small access doors into the eaves and when you look through the doors, the eaves have been partially boarded with loft boards on the floor. There is some insulation visible where there are no boards, and between the rafters I think it is insulated with some black netting/fabric over it(??).

I would like to use this space for storage and want that storage space to be clean and tidy (currently pretty filthy), so I am wondering if anyone can advise on if it is OK to completely cover the floor in loft boards, and also put some sheeted wood over the rafters/ceiling too - effectively completely enclosing the eave space?

I'm not sure if it has been left partially boarded for a reason e.g. air flow?

Any advice very welcome!!

Many thanks,

Tamara

diydoctor6
Ganger
Ganger

Re: Boarding the Eaves in Loft Conversion for Storage

by diydoctor6 » Tue Dec 22, 2015 2:22 pm

You do need an air gap where the boards meet the rafters as this allows some ventilation. 4 inches would be plenty.

Otherwise you can board out the whole space.

If you need extra insulation added, we have found a great solution which allows you to add the insulation while keeping the storage space, albeit a little higher: https://www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects/bo ... ftzone.htm

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 10:37 am