Boat Insulation and Moisture Ingress in Narrowboat
Information, help, tips and advice on cavity walls, ceilings and lofts etc....

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
nbUK
Labourer
Labourer

Boat Insulation and Moisture Ingress in Narrowboat

Post by nbUK » Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:27 am

Hi,

I've got a problem with what appears to be moisture coming through the walls on my narrowboat (see attached pics). This issue appears to be happening in all of the major panels around the boat, and all of those walls have spray foam insulation behind them.

IMG_0930.jpg

IMG_1557.jpg

DSC_3572.jpg

I know that it's normal to get condensation forming on the inner steel of the boat, especially during the winter months - but is it supposed to come through to the interior like this?

Having looked around the internet, I can't seem to find any pictures of any other boat that looks like this. So what I'd really like to know is:

1. How common is this sort of thing?

2. What do you think is the most likely cause?

3. What, if anything, can be done to fix this?

Many thanks,

Nick
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

katoosh525
Tradesman
Tradesman

Re: Boat Insulation and Moisture Ingress in Narrowboat

Post by katoosh525 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:08 pm

Ventilation will be the key here. Hopefully you have some space between the hull and the insulation, and you need to get air moving through that. Holes through the insulation into the void at opposite ends of the hull, and a fan or similar to encourage enough airflow. I had somethign very similar happen behind my fitted wardrobe on a solid walled house, and had to put a brass vent at the bottom of the wardrobe and a chimney (4" soil pipe) into the attic. I didn't need to use a fan, but chose the soil pipe so I could add one if needed. Problem sorted in no time. DO NOT IGNORE IT - I had awful asthma attacks from black mould before I sorted mine out.
Hope this helps.

nbUK
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Boat Insulation and Moisture Ingress in Narrowboat

Post by nbUK » Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:59 am

Hi,

Thanks for your response. What's concerning is that the boat was brand new when I bought it, I've had a huge number of build quality issues from day one, and I know that other owners of the exact same boat have had none of the issues I've had with mine. The manufacturer has always been very reluctant to get involved and accept responsibility for these issues.

I can also see second hand versions of the same boat selling which are older than mine, but the wooden panels are in top condition. This tells me that these issues, like a lot of my other issues, are specific to my boat and should not be happening.

Nick

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 01, 2024 12:08 am