Boiler not working
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
mambios
Labourer
Labourer

Boiler not working

by mambios » Fri May 16, 2008 9:53 pm

Hi,

It appears that my boiler is no longer 'sparking up' and providing hot water when the taps are turned on.

It seems to be that the pilot light is not working but I can't see any way of manually lighting it etc. Also, what kind of starter would be in this system?

The boiler is an old Halstead Sime Combi 30/90 (about 25/30 years old according to the Halstead rep). Live in a rented house and the landlord is refusing to do anything about until next week at the earliest as he's convinced it'll right itself, but we need hot water.

So, is there anyway of manually lighting it?

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

by htg engineer » Sun May 18, 2008 5:58 pm

Does this boiler have a permanent pilot or electronic ignition ?

As you say you live in rented accommodation you shouldn't touch the boiler at all apart from turning it on or off. The landlord and the gas operative are responsible for the boiler, house and your safety. If you tamper or try to repair anything, if something happens like an explosion or carbon monoxide poisoning and they find out you were the last one to touch the boiler you'll be responsible and end up in court - let them sort it.

If it was me, i'd ask the landlord to get it repaired. If you think the time you have to wait in unreasonable tell them, and say if it's not repaired soon you'll get an engineer out and forward the bill on to them.

htg

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1