DIY Doctor

Boiler Pipes seem to be live !!!!

Postby jmc020468 » Wed Oct 31, 2007 7:18 pm

Hi........... To cut along story short just moved into a 1940's house and I had just changed my gas hob, then when I started to connect the flexi hose at the gas point I got a shock off the pipe work !!
Putting a circuit tester between earth at the ring main socket and the hob or pipe work lit up my circuit tester.
Then I noticed if I plug the boiler in to the ring main the pipes and hob are not live anymore.
Very strange..... Some one said it could be to do with earth bonding round the pipe work at the boiler (Can not see any)

Can anyone advise me please?

Thank you John
Rank: Labourer
Progress to next rank:
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Oct 31, 2007 6:58 pm


Simply Build It

Postby Eurospark » Thu Nov 01, 2007 11:17 am

Sounds like the pipes are earthed via the boiler supply, which isn't good enough. They should be earthed directly to the earth terminal bar in your DB (fuse box) and this should be done as soon as the pipes enter the house for water and gas (although if they are plastic on entry, as soon as they connect to copper.
The meter will light up if the pipes are not earthed but it is an induced voltage rather than a direct connection to the live. This is still bad news especially around gas fittings. The earthing is a simple job, but make sure the hot pipes and both sides of the radiator circuit are earthed as well as the incoming water and gas.
Rank: Apprentice
Progress to next rank:
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2007 4:48 pm

Postby htg engineer » Thu Nov 01, 2007 2:32 pm

The mains gas pipe should have an earth connection within 1m of the gas meter, also all the copper pipes from the boiler should be earthed too.
htg engineer
Rank: Project Manager
Posts: 3256
Joined: Tue May 22, 2007 5:22 pm

Postby jmc020468 » Thu Nov 01, 2007 5:01 pm

Hi Eurospark............. Thanks for that,will get the job sorted straight away.
Once again Thank you
Will let you know how I go on John
Rank: Labourer
Progress to next rank:
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Oct 31, 2007 6:58 pm

Postby jagjitsingh11 » Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:18 am

Hi i got a problem with my valliant bolier. underneath where it has been earthed from one pipe going to the rest,,, i touched it with wire mash and for some reason the earth wire from where it is connected to the pipe it had a mini explosion or some kind of spark and then my bolier switched of completely. i checked the fuse on the spur switch but it is perfectly fine, i couldnt see a problem with the earthing allthough it sparked so what should i do to resolve the problem ??????????????????????????????????????? i would reallly REALLY APRICEATE SOME HELP !!!!!! please SOMONE HELP !!!!!!!!!
Rank: Labourer
Progress to next rank:
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:10 am

Postby ericmark » Tue Dec 27, 2011 3:18 pm

You should ask this question on a new thread not latch it to some one else's.

Likely there are internal fuses but the question is what happened and why. I would not really be happy until I had tested the earths to ensure there is nothing wrong. Not really something that can be done without test gear.
Rank: Project Manager
Posts: 2503
Joined: Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:49 pm
Location: Llanfair Caereinion, Mid Wales.

Display posts from previous
Sort by
Order by

  • DIY How to Project Guides
  • DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!

  • Related Topics