Boiler reliability
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
wilkoplus
Labourer
Labourer

Boiler reliability

by wilkoplus » Wed Jul 21, 2010 4:26 pm

I have enquired about replacing my boiler with a combi with two heating engineers. First engineer suggested a Worcester Bosch with 5 year warranty or a Vokera with 2 year warranty at about £300 less.

Am awaiting a price from second engineer who also suggested a Worcester Bosch with 5 year warranty but said he could do a Vailant for about same price with 3 year warranty. I suggested Vailant because I had read on the Web that they were good.

Anyone had any experience with these boilers and could give advice to which is the best one to go for?

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

by htg engineer » Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:10 pm

Vaillant and Worcester are very good, but as you've already found they're quite expensive. You will also find the spares are expensive too. Although some say you get what you pay for.

Stay away from Vokera, you'll find many engineers will install but wont repair as they're not a good boiler to work on.

If you want a cheap boiler, cheap spares and cheap labour - as they're easy to work on - you can't go wrong with Baxi or Potterton. Some say as they're cheaper they break down more - I like them, and I have a Baxi Combi in my house

htg

wilkoplus
Labourer
Labourer

by wilkoplus » Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:46 pm

Thanks for reply. I'm going to get a couple of more quotes before going ahead

eggers
Ganger
Ganger

by eggers » Fri Jul 23, 2010 6:35 pm

vokera's can be a pain for the engineer and the user!
Vaillant and worcester are among the best brands available at the moment, but as a result are expensive. Gloworm are owned by vaillant and as such some models are in some cases just rebranded vaillant boilers
Baxi and potterton boilers are all but identical except the decorative exteriors. As such most parts from a potterton promax (for example) are compatible with their baxi counterparts.
i will admit, i am not a fan of baxi potterton boiler however

Eva2100
Labourer
Labourer

by Eva2100 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:09 am

it's a good thread..thanks for your post..

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1