Boiler ventilation - will this work?
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
andy2510
Tradesman
Tradesman

Boiler ventilation - will this work?

by andy2510 » Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:05 pm

Hi guys. I wonder if a Corgi-registered engineer could help?

I have a 10-year old Ferroli Combi boiler in our house (it was fitted years before we moved in). When I had it serviced (for the first time - I've only been here 2 years!) I was told it needs more ventilation. It's housed in a full-height stone cupboard in the kitchen in the centre of the house (so the flue can go straight up and act like a chimney - it used to house an old air-heating boiler). Because there is no outside wall this means I have to add additional ventilation to the kitchen. The kitchen is ventilated (but not enough).

Anyway, while I do need to add ventilation I'm not happy in adding extra draughts into the kitchen. I've been pondering this for a while but I think I've come up with a solution that I'd like to confer with an expert. Can I use the under-floor ventilation directly into the cupboard? This would mean removing a couple of floorboards and boxing it up (so it's flush with the kitchen cupboards and just under the door - there's an air grill in this space already).

Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Hop it all makes sense!

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

by htg engineer » Mon Mar 02, 2009 4:26 pm

Not really sure what you mean.

You need purpose provided ventilation for gas appliances, if it crosses a void is has to be ducted throughout the length.

Hope this helps.

htg

andy2510
Tradesman
Tradesman

by andy2510 » Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:53 pm

Thanks for your reply.

What I meant was would it OK to use the underfloor void as ventilation, but as you mentioned it'll need to be ducted then it sounds more trouble than it's worth.

I need 90cm squared of ventilation but don't want a big draft in the kitchen. The door and window are uPVC and below the window is a blank uPVC panel (which has a smaller vent fitted already). Would putting a suitable vent in this panel by alright considering there is a washing machine sitting just in front of it?

Obviously while I want to improve on a poorly ventilated area, I don't want a freezing kitchen in winter (though it could save on running a fridge.....)

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1