Bonding Copper Pipes in bathroom
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
cemhlm
Apprentice
Apprentice

Bonding Copper Pipes in bathroom

by cemhlm » Sun Jan 13, 2008 7:49 pm

1. My house is a late 60's construction, the copper pipes to the bath - hand basins are not earthed, the pipes are easy to get to, how do I bond these? can I use earth clamps from say the bath hot supply pipe, dasiy chain it to the cold, then onto the hand basins. There is a 40 amp junction box in the loft space that is adjacent to the rear of the toilet hand basin, can I attach the end of the earth cable onto the earth terminal in the junction box

The only electrical appliance in bathroom, is a low voltage power shower, that will be placed with another low voltage power shower.

The power shower gets its elcetrical power from a transformer which is wired to a 3 amp fused double pole switch. The transformer etc is installed in the airing cupbard adjacent to the bathrrom.

ericmark

by ericmark » Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:15 pm

Running earth wires to replace those missing in the original wiring will not comply with regulations the original wires will need changing see 544-01-01 When overcurrent protective devices are used for protection against electric shock, the protective conductor shall be incorporated in the same wiring system as the live conductors or in their immediate proximity.

ericmark

by ericmark » Mon Jan 14, 2008 4:47 pm

Sorry two very similar posts and I cut and pasted into wrong one. There are four types of earth bonding and the supplementary equipotential bonding conductors requirements have changed with different editions of the BS7671 and I stand to be corrected. 547-03 and diagram at front of book. But the main idea is to connect all conducting bits together rather than back to the main incoming earth. It is “Earthed equipotential zone. = A zone within which exposed-conductive-parts and extraneous-conductive-parts are maintained at substantially the same potential by bonding, such that, under fault conditions, the differences in potential between simultaneously accessible exposed- and extraneous-conductive-parts will not cause electric shock.â€

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Apr 14, 2024 11:08 am