Boxing in old Potterton boiler - regulations?
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Louise77
Labourer
Labourer

Boxing in old Potterton boiler - regulations?

Post by Louise77 » Mon Apr 07, 2008 4:16 pm

Hi.
I am replacing my old kitchen doors to give my kitchen a home makeover, and have decided to build a housing cupboard round my boiler as it is hideous and really makes the kitchen look bad even with the new cupboards.
My Dad is going to do it for me, he is a joiner, but we need to know the regulations for boxing it in.
It is a Potterton Netaheat Electronic. I can't find any serial numbers etc, that's all it says on the front, but I suspect it is pretty old (maybe more than 10 years).
It is situated in the corner of my kitchen. The back of the boiler is against an outside wall, and it is about 3 inches from the ceiling and about 2 feet above the worktop.
I don't mind leaving the top and bottom of the cupboard off (ie just building around it and putting a door on the front) because you don't see these areas, and I have purchased two aluminium vents to put on the side of the cupboard. The other side of the boiler is about 2-3 inches away from the wall so I will probably not even be putting that side on the 'cupboard' (ie it will basically be a front with a door and a side with vents, no top or bottom).

So, has anybody got any recommendations or suggestions - does this sound okay, and do you think it will provide adequate ventilation? I will make sure the cupboard comes apart easily for servicing etc.
Louise

What else do I need to do?

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by htg engineer » Mon Apr 07, 2008 5:18 pm

Looking at parts etc for the netaheat it is a room sealed appliance so there's no need for any combustion ventilation. Although it is best to add ventilation for cooling.

As long as there is clearance around the boiler and there's no obstructions to opening up the boiler for maintenance and servicing then there shouldn't be a problem.

And ensure the flue has 25mm clearance of any combustible material

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1