Boxing in pipes and tiling over
Advice and information on tiling and fixing tiles to a variety of surfaces

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
chrispbug
Labourer
Labourer

Boxing in pipes and tiling over

by chrispbug » Sun May 25, 2008 11:22 pm

We've recently fitted a new bathroom suite and now we need to box in several pipes behind the cistern. Our idea is to use plywood / mdf to form the boxing in then to tile over this. The wooden frame and sheeting would be screwed together then tiled over. Obviously doing it this way the screws would then be hidden by the tiles.
My main concern is not the actual boxing in but how to fix the tiles in such a way that we can remove the whole boxed in section without destroying the tiles in case there is a problem with the pipework underneath.
Any ideas would be appreciated
Hope this makes sense.

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

by rosebery » Mon May 26, 2008 12:23 am

Don't use MDF use ply.

Your solution is to make the whole box removable unless it's of such a gynagerous size as to be impractical but the chances of the pipework needing attention before the bathroom is done next time is negligible. I say the latter with no specific site knowledge of course.

I wouldn't bother. Whilts I understand the "belt and braces" idea behind your suggestion it's sort of the same argument as some peeps put forward for not tiling the bathroom floor.

Cheers

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

by rosebery » Mon May 26, 2008 12:25 am

Sorry I that I misread your post and now see that you do wish to make the whole thing removable as I suggested.

However, on balance I'd still say don't bother.

Cheers

chris_on_tour2002
Project Manager
Project Manager

by chris_on_tour2002 » Thu May 29, 2008 12:44 pm

if the pipes joints have been soldered and waste pipes cemented then i would agree with rosebery - don't bother.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:20 pm