Boxing in utility meters
Kitchens, doors, rails, stud, tables, chairs, stair cases, garden furniture etc... Find answers and ask questions here!

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
paul_handyman
Apprentice
Apprentice

Boxing in utility meters

by paul_handyman » Wed Oct 10, 2007 3:58 pm

My daughter has just moved into a terraced house that has both the gas and electric meters in the front room.
They are both in the alcove between the chimney breast and the front wall.

I want to box this area in to make a worktop/storage area on the top and access via 2 doors on the front.
I thought of using 12 - 15mm mdf for the top and perhaps put a fancy edge on it with a router.
The actual box framwework I can contruct - no problems.
The finished structure will be painted to match the skirting boards.

Where I am coming unstuck is what sort of doors to use?

I don't just want plain flat mdf type doors as the structure is in the main living room - flat doors would look cheap and 'home-made'.
I have looked round and found a supplier of replacement doors but these are kitchen cabinet type doors and again, would not look right in a living room.

Can anybody suggest what type of door I could use? (and possibly a supplier if ready made etc.)

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Sat Oct 13, 2007 5:56 am

High paul_handyman,
Just a passing comment on your problem, I don't know what type/style of cupborad doors you are looking for?
But plenty of website with them on, but usually find the market is for kitchen and bedrooms. A little idea, have you thought about looking in reclaimation yards or second hand furniture shops. I'm sure you'll come across old cabinets/cupboards that you can use the doors off, rather than get them made bespoke which will most probally cost more than it would to buy the second hand furniture for the doors.
Just an idea, good luck
KB

Oddbod
Ganger
Ganger

by Oddbod » Sat Oct 13, 2007 9:41 am

Hi, You might be better off with 18mm MDF on the top. MDF has a nice habit of sagging over time. Even with 18mm you probably ought to support it at the back with a rail fixed on the wall and the front with the frame. Remember to allow the top to slightly overlap the frame at the front. A routed edge looks pretty naff if it is flush!

I'm a bit surprised you cant find a kitchen (or bathroom) door that will do – there are loads around. Have you tried searching online, Google on replacement kitchen doors and you should might get lucky.

If that doesn't work you are after something unusual which you may have to make yourself. Come back and give us an idea of the style you want and I'm sure someone around here will either know where to get them or how to make them.

paul_handyman
Apprentice
Apprentice

by paul_handyman » Sat Oct 13, 2007 11:20 pm

Thanks for the suggestions.

I have actually redone most of the construction today using a timber framework and MDF.

The problem was that my daughter did not want anything fancy - basically just 2 opening doors that would fit flush and look as if they were part of the wall on the chimney breast.
This is what was causing the problem as none of the ready made kitchen/bedroom type doors were the correct size or shape.
I was thinking of using concealed hinges on the inside until I realised that I had nothing to fix them to and nowhere to put any side stuctures due to the electricity box being fitted to the side of the wall.

I have now sorted the problem through trial and error and come up with a design that is both usable/possible and acceptible to my daughters standards.
It is not exactly what I would have done if it was for myself but - it is her house and as she wants it. :lol:

Now all I have to do is sort out my own shower (see posting in 'plumbing' thread)

Thanks once again for the advice.

4legs
Labourer
Labourer

by 4legs » Thu Nov 08, 2007 11:22 pm

I found that ikea doors BYOM ( designed for Billy bookcases) were an ideal size when boxing in utlity meters. Depnds exactly how far apart they are..

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:11 am