Brass to plastic light switches
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
gibbsee
Labourer
Labourer

Brass to plastic light switches

by gibbsee » Sun Aug 26, 2007 8:38 pm

I am planning to replace the existing (hideous!) brass light switches in my house with plain white plastic. However on inspection the brass switches are all earthed, and the plastic ones are not.

Every diagram I can find in handbooks shows earth connections, yet the new switches have no facility for this. Do I replace them ignoring the earth (this seems highly dubious) or do I need to do something else?

All useful answers received with thanks!

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Sun Aug 26, 2007 9:51 pm

Hi, reverse of usual question! most want to fit hideous brass fittings where there is no earth!!
No prob. if no earth term in back box as is often the case with clip in plaster boxes then fit into small single connector block in back box, then if later someone with less taste than yourself wants to refit manky metal items earth still available....as you will have noticed I hate them too!!!
regards SPARX

gibbsee
Labourer
Labourer

by gibbsee » Mon Aug 27, 2007 9:47 am

Many thanks for a prompt and clear reply. Never used a message board before, think I might do it again... now, where's that screwdriver...?

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Mar 27, 2024 11:40 pm