Brick Built shed. Cost and amount of DIY involved
Information, help and advice on many architecture, self build and design problems and issues

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
MattHunt
Labourer
Labourer

Brick Built shed. Cost and amount of DIY involved

Post by MattHunt » Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:10 am

Hello

I am looking to build a hobby room cum shed. I want it brick built so it is not so inviting to the local arsonist who burnt down my neighbours and so that it is secure and a better environment for models, tools, pictures and a computer.

I have drawn up a plan but need to cost the project and identify which parts I can do. Any help would be appreciated.

So far my questions are:

Foundations: How thing should my base concrete layer be? Will the brick walls sit on this or adjacent. I beleive that this bit is DIY

Walls: For insulation am I better with cavity blocks or a 'traditional' cavity wall. Having never laid bricks I'll need a builder.

Roof: Am planning on sloping roof, felted. Life span about 10 years?

Insulation: DIY

Installing plug sockets and lights: DIY but power from mains I'd need an electrician as this is a new installation??

Floor: DIY

Interior (other than plastering: DIY

Costs: Other than builders quotes, is there an internet resource where I can cost out the stages?

Thanks

Matt

thedoctor

Post by thedoctor » Tue Mar 13, 2007 3:52 pm

MANY OF THE ANSWERS TO YOUR POSTS CAN BE FOUND, WITH DIAGRAMS, IN THE DIYDOCTOR PROJECTS SECTION.
CLICK HERE www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects.htm

TheDoctor5

Post by TheDoctor5 » Wed Jan 21, 2009 1:57 pm

Last year 64% of the questions asked in our forum were answered within our DIY project pages at www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects.htm The project pages are now separated alphabetically and your answers are accompanied by diagrams and the ability to see, and buy, the tools and/or required to complete your project. Use our search box to look for your answer and save a great deal of time and money!

f1wade
Labourer
Labourer

Post by f1wade » Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:15 pm

hi i looked in the projects section, and there was only a part for building a shed, (wooden) no brick built sheds where in there, and i dont think a garage is quite what im after in a brick shed, but there wasnt what i wanted in the garages section.

so can someone please point me to the right section for brick built sheds, with a slightly sloping roof, and one or 2 doors? and maybe a window.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 06, 2024 2:26 pm