brickwork on my roofline in loft is moving
All manner of questions and solutions to problems and issues surrounding the subject of brickwork, blockwork and stonework

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
richard82
Labourer
Labourer

brickwork on my roofline in loft is moving

by richard82 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:20 pm

i have noticed the top line of bricks in my loft has progressively moved towards the outside wall of my home, i have lived here for 5 years and now it is at the point of being very noticeable, my home is a 3 bed semi-detached, this wall that is moving is the detached side, i have noticed bits of morter/cement that have dropped out also small bricks.
i have checked the rest of the brickwork in loft and appears no other movement, the opposite wall (attached side) has been bricked just below the roof trusts (wooden frame on roof) so any movement of roof would not affect these. i can not see any movement from outside of home on the apex due to facia and soffit, i believe the home to be built 1850s, there is slight cracking to some corners of bedroom walls which are progressively growing the cracks are internal but on external walls. my home is situated near the top of a hill.
i had a wall removed in my bathroom approx 1 year ago but this was a free standing breeze block wall, no other major improvements.
i have no slates fall off roof but have noticed chimeny stack (external) does need re pointing, could be an indacation of movement .

i have included photos to hopefully help asses whats happening and would appreciate any advise

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

cracking

by welsh brickie » Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:43 pm

Very hard to comment on exactly what it could be,My best guess is expansion of roof timbers,or tiles expanding to crack the brickwork.It dosent appear to be structural.I would render over the brickwork thats moved and any other cracks you may have.
If there is any additional movement contact a structural engineer to examine it.

polishingpeanuts
Apprentice
Apprentice

by polishingpeanuts » Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:33 pm

Richard, its difficult for us to determine from the photos, but their seems to be some mortar on the purlin a little way in from the gable.

Is the purlin coming out of the wall? or rather is the wall moving away from the purlin?

Been in many hundreds of roof spaces and not seen anything quite like that. :(

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 10, 2024 2:51 pm