Bridging the gap Between two Foundation Walls
Drainage pipes, concrete, footings and foundations. Post your questions and find answers here

timmywo
Labourer
Labourer

Bridging the gap Between two Foundation Walls

by timmywo » Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:38 am

Hello all,

I am in the process of completing an extension next to an existing building. The new extension was built 80cm from the existing building due to digger access. I now need to fill in this gap.

Background: Extension approx 8x7m, slope site, finishing foundation walls and preparing for fill then Concrete slab pour. The new structure is a reclaimed wood beam house. The extension has concreate footer 50x35cm and CMU blocks filled with cement. The old structure is concrete trench pour.
Location south Poland, winter -30c. The 80cm gap between buildings will not be a supporting wall.

Option 1:
Digg down below the frost line, put up shuttering and fill with cement to the desired level.

Option 2:
As above, but drill and epoxy in some horizontal rebar into both foundations.

As this gap is so small, I'm guessing Option 2 may be best as this wall with the rebar could even float above the ground, maybe I do not need to dig below frost line? If that is the case maybe best to rebar into the new foundation only.

Keen for feedback and suggestions, thank you all!

-Tim

It is currently Mon Apr 15, 2024 5:09 pm