Broken earth in light switch
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
paul n
Labourer
Labourer

Broken earth in light switch

Post by paul n » Sun May 13, 2007 5:00 pm

The previous owners of my house had a nail in the wall just above the light switch. This gave me a slight shock and it was removed. I had the whole house safety tested and was given a certificate. I have just replaced the old plastic light switch for a stainless steel one and connected the earth to it for safety. When I tested it with a continuity tester the earth did'nt seem to work. I checked where the nail had been and opened the conduit and the earth wire has been completely severed and the two red switch wires are slightly discoloured at this point.

What is the best way to repair this? Can I connect it back together with a crimp or connecting block or will i have to replace the whole wire from the switch to the light?

Thanks

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by sparx » Sun May 13, 2007 8:13 pm

Hi Paul, I think you know the answer......
If the top of the conduit is accessable then try to pull in a new cable because if the nail has touched the reds then it will be weakened so may break soon anyway and if you try to crimp onto earth the movement won't help at all,
try to get a length of 1mm2 as it is a lot smaller overall than 1.5mm2 to give best chance of replacement, good luck & don't try it alone it will be a 2 handed job, regards SPARX

paul n
Labourer
Labourer

Post by paul n » Sun May 13, 2007 10:28 pm

Sparx

Thanks for your quick reply and advice. I will get some 1mm2 cable and try and pull it in.

Thanks again

Paul

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Mar 27, 2024 2:18 pm