DIY Doctor

Builder not Tiling onto Hardie Backer?

Postby JSK3992 » Sat Apr 06, 2019 12:05 pm

IMG_0999.jpg

I have had to get the old plasterboard behind the shower ripped out and start again due to leaks coming from the shower onto the tiles and going behind to the flat below.

The builder who is re-doing it is tiling tiles onto wood board (see photos) and not Hardie board or similar. He has left me in the lurch over the weekend and now I am trying to find out if what he is doing is correct to prevent leaks in the future as my understanding was that tiles should get tiled onto Hardie board to make sure it's absolutely water tight?

He has the Hardie board downstairs which hasn't been used. Behind the shower are the pipes and then stud panels. So would the Hardie board normally be attached to the stud panels?

Sorry if this seems obvious but I am a newbie to this and keen to make absolutely sure of no leaks in the future.

Thanks
Attachments
IMG_0994.jpg
JSK3992
Progress to next rank:
0%

Sponsor

Simply Build It

Postby Loky11 » Sun Apr 07, 2019 6:08 pm

I have never seen tiles on ply on a wall, only on floors, plasterboard or hardibacker board for shower areas.
Loky11
Progress to next rank:
25%

Sort by
Order by

• DIY How to Project Guides
  • DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!