Builder Taking Short Cut On Foundations
Drainage pipes, concrete, footings and foundations. Post your questions and find answers here

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
averagejoe
Labourer
Labourer

Builder Taking Short Cut On Foundations

by averagejoe » Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:56 pm

Hello All,

I am a newbie to this forum who is looking for some advice after seeing my builder doing something underhand.

I spotted him putting broken bricks and slabs or old paving into the foundations trenches of a single storey extension, which already had freshly poured concrete in there. I have been told that foundations should only contain concrete and that this type of behaviour is a sign of a cow boy builder is taking short cuts.

The problem is, this guy has already built an outbuilding for me so I was wondering what problems I could expect if he used the same method to build my outbuilding?

Also, does anyone have any idea what sort of rights I have in terms of trying to get him to dig up and remove all the concrete or whatever else he has used to fill the foundation trenches? I already had the building control office round to check the foundations after I expressed my concerns and he said we need to start the work again and that all the foundations should be removed and the work start from an empty foundation trench.

Any views or advice would be very appreciated.

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

foundations

by welsh brickie » Sat Dec 11, 2010 9:13 pm

the building inspector should check the trench before the concretes laid,The odd paving slab or bit of brick isnt a problem,But if hes throwing loads of it in,then its a problem

averagejoe
Labourer
Labourer

Re: foundations

by averagejoe » Sun Dec 19, 2010 1:44 am

welsh brickie wrote:the building inspector should check the trench before the concretes laid,The odd paving slab or bit of brick isnt a problem,But if hes throwing loads of it in,then its a problem

It turns out that he had put quite a lot of old rubble, broken bricks from a removed chimney and also quite big old paving slabs into the foundations.

Any advice on what sort of action I should take after calling building control over? They have already come round and asked him to remove the foundations, which he has.....would anyone recommend I do anything else?

fmck
Apprentice
Apprentice

by fmck » Fri Dec 24, 2010 8:59 pm

If he has the concrete coming in ready mixed (By the sounds of it probably) meet the delivery and say you want a copy of the docket to ensure you have the correct mix and not some cheap 20N mix.
Check if their using mesh rebar,(If designed for) that its in and they havent used a wee offcut at the stopend for the day to make you think it is in.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 15, 2024 3:04 pm