Building a floor where the mezzanine gap is
If you want to know how your DIY projects could be affected by building and planning regulations, click here to post questions and view answers

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
natasha15
Labourer
Labourer

Building a floor where the mezzanine gap is

by natasha15 » Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:00 pm

Hi, this is my first post so please be gentle with me!

I'm considering buying this house that is very modern, so I'm looking into the possibilities of gaining space.
The ground floor has a large lounge that has a skylight window going all the way to the roof. First floor has two bedrooms on one side and a bathroom with a dormer window on the other side. One of the bedrooms has a view over the lounge so I was considering getting rid of the mezzanine - basically extending the floor to go all the way and lose the skylight over the lounge and have the floor level with the bathroom. I would gain another bedroom hopefully. The gap is about 4 square metres so I was wondering if I had to get a planning permission for the job or it's just considered permitted development? I would also look into converting the existing window into a dormer one, but for that I'd contact the professionals.
Thanks!

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:21 pm

natasha15,
Generally no you would not need planning permission for this but you will need building regulations approval.
Do have a look at your deeds and see if any restrictions are in force which would limit what you can do with the structure. eg if the property is leasehold you may not be able to do anything.
end

natasha15
Labourer
Labourer

by natasha15 » Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:04 am

Thank you! The house is a freehold house, so hopefully I'll be able to do that.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1