Building a retaining garden wall......help please!
Post your questions and find answers on all garden related topics and areas

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
nic_kay
Labourer
Labourer

Building a retaining garden wall......help please!

by nic_kay » Sun Jun 03, 2007 2:02 pm

Afternoon All,

I am looking to replace the existing conifers and small retaining wall of my boundary with a high brick wall.

I would like to get help regarding the construction in order to make a planning application in the next month.

Details: 27m boundary wall, retaining height is approx 0.5m, with the low side being into the garden. Existing wall is single brick approx 0.5m high.

I would like to understand the most appropriate means of construction and what foundations and provision for buttresses would be required. I would also see some risk in removing the existing wall, so would look to a means of building on or over the existing wall such that is gives a face of new brick on both in inner and outer surface.

I would also welcome any comments regarding pervious experience/costs of doing such work as well.

Cheers,
Nick :)

gaconsult
Apprentice
Apprentice

by gaconsult » Tue Jun 05, 2007 8:08 am

A one brick thick wall (225mm) on a 450mm deep 400 x 250 thick concrete froundation should suffice for retaining 0.5m. In corporate weepholes at 1m centres and provide movement joints at say 3m to 6m centres to allow for movement.

gaconsult

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 12, 2024 7:00 pm