Building a timber shed on Concrete base without DPM
Damp can be a major issue in the home. Find answers to questions or post your own here.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
gmeekin
Labourer
Labourer

Building a timber shed on Concrete base without DPM

by gmeekin » Wed Jan 27, 2021 10:20 pm

Hi all,

I am planning to build timber shed towards the bottom of my drive which is concrete and doesn't have a DPM under it. My plan is to build a rectangle out of 4x2 and then use 4x2 cross members to add stability at around 400mm centres then board with OSB 18mm sheets. I want to attach the base to the ground/concrete either by using 4x4 posts and post shoes bolted down however I don't want to raise the height of the floor too much. Or by bolting a timber to the concrete then screwing my frame down to this to hopefully create airflow under the floor.

By building a raised floor will this prevent rising damp or will the timber still suffer from this? my plan is to use treated timber will a dpc help also?

Also I'm thinking to insulate the shed and probably use as a workshop too.

thanks in advance.

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Building a timber shed on Concrete base without DPM

by stoneyboy » Thu Jan 28, 2021 9:12 pm

Hi gmeekin
If rainwater pools where you will put the shed you will have to correct this first. Then lay and fix the floor timbers but leave the ends open for ventilation. Use sheathing (flooring grade) ply rather than OSB.
Regards S

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 2:50 am