DIY Doctor

Main navigation

Building control required - interior window hole

Postby jsmithy » Wed Jun 24, 2020 3:51 pm


We want to knock a hole through an interior wall, which is load-bearing (it used to be the rear wall of the property before a single storey extension was added to the house long ago), to put in a window to let light through. We don't seem to be able to get definitive advice as to whether building control is required for this.

Can anyone help, please?

PS - it's a Victorian terrace in London in a conservation area.
Rank: Labourer
Progress to next rank:
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Jul 19, 2016 8:39 pm

Postby stoneyboy » Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:39 pm

Hi jsmithy
It's a structural alteration so yes you should have BR involvement. If you decide not to involve them you may have problems when you come to sell if the buyer realises that a alteration has been made.
Regards S
Rank: Project Manager
Posts: 5065
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 6:44 pm

Display posts from previous
Sort by
Order by

  • DIY How to Project Guides
  • DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!

  • Related Topics