Building inspectors requirements for recently completed extension
If you want to know how your DIY projects could be affected by building and planning regulations, click here to post questions and view answers

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
garfield59
Tradesman
Tradesman

Building inspectors requirements for recently completed extension

by garfield59 » Fri Apr 08, 2016 6:24 pm

We recently had an extension built and when the inspector came round to sign off completion he raised half a dozen points. All but two have now been sorted and I'm wondering if anyone would be able to offer advice on these last two?

First we have a new external door which leads into my workshop on the ground floor and the difference in floor levels outside and inside is now 300mm. When the inspector checked the figure it was 500mm but at that time the path around the extension had not been created. He has not given me a maximum figure to achieve so I can't complete the work. I don't want to put a permanent step in place because it will interfere with access along the path outside the workshop so would a portable step be acceptable? Also, what figure should I be aiming for regarding difference in floor levels or height for a step?
Secondly the three levels in the extension are fitted with hard wired smoke alarms. The inspector now wants me to fit a hard wired alarm on the landing in the original house but every room in the original house (except the bathroom) is fitted with properly maintained battery powered alarms. Why do I now need to extend the new system into the original house, it doesn't make sense to me.
Any comments, advice welcome
Many thanks
Garfield

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Building inspectors requirements for recently completed extension

by welsh brickie » Wed Apr 13, 2016 7:44 pm

The best thing to do is ask the inspector to clarify what he requires for completion. They are there to help you and I have always found them helpful

arbco
Ganger
Ganger

Re: Building inspectors requirements for recently completed extension

by arbco » Fri Apr 22, 2016 8:42 pm

The step outside the door seems fair and he may like a landing due to the rise of 300mm i.e. Two steps/risers of 150mm? With regard to the smoke detectors the requirement should be no more than one in each landing /hallway in the existing house interlinked. if the extension is linked to the existing stair then you will probably have fire doors throughout, but am surprised at the request for mains smoke detection in all rooms. Even if the house was greater than 200m2 floor area one level you would only need an LD3 system. As Welsh bricking suggests it would be good to speak with him.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1