Building Regs for Alterations to an Existing Loft Conversion
If you want to know how your DIY projects could be affected by building and planning regulations, click here to post questions and view answers

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
wubbleu
Labourer
Labourer

Building Regs for Alterations to an Existing Loft Conversion

by wubbleu » Mon Sep 16, 2019 3:47 pm

Hi guys, I'm wondering if anyone can help me please, as I can't find anything on the internet about building regs on alterations to existing loft conversions.
Basically our loft was converted 25-30 years ago and has a building regs certificate, so it was signed off when rules were more relaxed and definitely before fire regs came into play.
It definitely wouldn't pass according to current rules as I live in an open plan cottage with no fire route out of the house.
However, we want to extend the room out by turning the rear slanting roof into a shed dormer, so building into the current eaves, including a mini en-suite.
Does anyone know if we would need building regs for this and if so would they judge the whole loft conversion on modern regs?
Thanks in advance.
Dan

collectors
Foreman
Foreman

Re: Building Regs for Alterations to an Existing Loft Conversion

by collectors » Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:13 am

If it was all in the same footprint, i doubt it would be a problem. But if your putting dormers in i would 1st check if you need planning as well, especially if it's in the front of the property, as some areas are strict on this. Best bet is to make an appointment with planning to check its all feasible & then with building regs. When I did all my build with my local council & used there building regs department not knowing you can use appointed building regs companies that maybe a bit more lenient/not so strict & a lot cheaper. "We learn"

wubbleu
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Building Regs for Alterations to an Existing Loft Conversion

by wubbleu » Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:37 pm

Thanks a lot for the advice I will check out the non-council route for building control for sure. I dealt with BC with local council previously and come to think of it I found them particularly pedantic.
The dormer will be on the back roof but it is conservation area so I believe planning is required anyway.
I get the impression it is one of those cases of having to go for it just submit the plans, fork out the money, and see how it pans out.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1