building regs./ planning permission
If you want to know how your DIY projects could be affected by building and planning regulations, click here to post questions and view answers

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
sammi
Labourer
Labourer

building regs./ planning permission

Post by sammi » Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:35 pm

Hello,

I would be very grateful for any help with these issues. I am in the process of buying a house which has a single storey dining room and sun room (windows floor to high ceiling as split level) which does not have planning permission or a building regulation certificate. The surveyor suspects the build is single block work probably without insulation and a flat roof without insulation but without further investigation he is unable to comment. The room 13'9" x 13'7" plus 13'8" x 8'4". The extension was done at least 16+ years ago. I understand no action can be taken re: the planning and that indemnity insurance can be taken out, my worries are these:-

- If I decide to insulate the outside of the building will I need planning permission? If so, can I do this for a building which does not have permission?

- If I was to put an apex roof on it will I require a buildings reg cert.?

In other words, can I mess around with this extension (and get all the legal documentation in order) without shooting myself in the foot by notifying the planning department?

- how straightforward is it for a surveyor to certify the building safe?

I'm feeling very nervous about this purchase because the room is a feature of the house and I think it will take a huge amount of heating.

Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Sammi

mark696
Labourer
Labourer

Post by mark696 » Fri May 07, 2010 8:20 am

These are very critical issues which could be handled with care. You need to hire a building contractor consultant because they can handle these issues very easily. they also work between builder and labour for good work. they handle any government affairs and other permission issues.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1