Building regs required?
If you want to know how your DIY projects could be affected by building and planning regulations, click here to post questions and view answers

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
coopster
Labourer
Labourer

Building regs required?

by coopster » Sat Aug 18, 2007 2:13 pm

We are in the process of buying a new house which has been made into a 4 bed from a 3 bed. This has involved a partition wall and a bathroom sink being moved 12 inches.

Would any of this work have required building regs as the current owner doesnt appear to have them?

They have offered to purchase an insurance indemnity but I'm not overly sure what this protects us against. Any ideas?

thanks in advance
coops

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Mon Aug 20, 2007 11:02 pm

Hi , I believe the work did not need bldg regs approval but the indemnity policy which costs around £150 does mean if later a bldg inspector during a visit for other work say, does pick up on it then the policy covers cost of retrospective planning, remedials etc. I would say yes & then ask bldg. control dept abt. the work,
we have used this method of cover ourselves when selling just in case, never needed to claim so can't comment on usefulness, but it would be a shame to lose a good purchase over it, regards
SPARX

coopster
Labourer
Labourer

by coopster » Wed Aug 22, 2007 10:52 am

Thanks for the reply, I spoke to our local building control who also confirmed that regs are not required.

Our solicitor advises that if the indenity is being offered anyway then we may as well take it just in case. Just cant wait to get in no as I've been allowed the 2nd sitting room as a *******/games room - result! Roll on the 55" tv!

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1