Building Regs Retrospective
If you want to know how your DIY projects could be affected by building and planning regulations, click here to post questions and view answers

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
meteor1
Labourer
Labourer

Building Regs Retrospective

by meteor1 » Wed Feb 27, 2008 6:20 pm

Hi
I have an upstairs bathroom without a WC. I've connected the new soil stack to the drain which comes out from the downstairs WC which is directly above the upstairs bathroom. .I now discover that building Regs applies to this work.
I haven't completed the stack or installed the new upstairs WC.
I want to comply so what's the procedure?

Any help would be useful.
Thanks
CC

arbco
Ganger
Ganger

by arbco » Thu Feb 28, 2008 7:26 pm

You need a regularisaton application from the building control department which is essentially the same as any other application. They may accept a building notice although they have every right not to as it is for 'proposed works'. Suggest you ask them and don't worry about being honest!

They will want to inspect any new drainage and plumbing and you should be able to get the form online. The fee is slightly more for retrospective work 20% but you do not pay any VAT!!

meteor1
Labourer
Labourer

by meteor1 » Thu Feb 28, 2008 9:20 pm

Thanks for the reply and advice.

I wasn't going to worry about being honest. I just didn't anticipate that Building Reg's would apply.
There is other work I'd planned to do such as knocking down a non load bearing wall and making a new doorway in the house. I now see after a chance trawl through some of the DIY sites that Building Regs are into a lot of the work I'd intended. At least now I'll be a bit more wary.

Thanks Again

CC

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1