DIY Doctor

Main navigation

building regulation and local authority power

Postby Dr David Noble » Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:38 am

I own an ex local authority flat
Served with a sec 20 order advising major works-incl double glazing
Existing DG only 20 ys old

When fitted the windows on one side of flat let in more sound than old-77.1DBA against 65DBA

This flat is literally 15ft from dual carraideway (A40)
External readings are 91.9DBA

Window at front of flat is 42mm too short and 32mm too narrow

Large gaps have been filled with expanding foam and face fixed plastic trims

Assuming local authority would be keen to address this i contacted them

They tell me

Windows are fine
They have FENSA certificate-under self assessment scheme
There is no rule on size of gaps between window and brickwork
FENSA seem disinclined to get involved

In relation to sound issue council say windows chosen as a "desk top" decision-had they visited they would have opted for sound insulating units (DG company offered them as an option which council declined)

In any event-they say-there is no provision to fit sound insulating units

Can local auth really get aeay with this

WHAT are building regs here please-help!!!

I have been billed £13,500 for inferior windows and a new roof which has flooded my flat

Dr David Noble
Dr David Noble
Rank: Labourer
Progress to next rank:
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:25 am

  • DIY How to Project Guides
  • DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!

  • Related Topics